Monday, January 19, 2015

Something a little different

I'm reading! That's not such a big announcement as I read all the time, but with the cold weather has come achy joints, fingers and feet so I'm not doing much in the crafty department. This has left a lot of time to read the stack of books I have and the ones on my Kindle. AND I have discovered that I can borrow books through my local library to download on my Kindle so I have been in reading heaven.

I set up a 2015 challenge on Goodreads to read 25 books this year. I read quite a lot but I've not kept up with the number in a long time. This challenge is something I have wanted to do for a couple of years but procrastinator that I am, I haven't managed to get it done.

So far, I've read 3 books and working on 4 and 5. I typically read at least 2 books at a time. I have one by the recliner, one in the bathroom (am I the only one?) and my Kindle follows me everywhere. I never leave home without it, especially if I am going out and about with Hubs. I do a lot of sitting in the truck waiting on him to do his inventory shopping and the Kindle has become my best buddy. Shopping with Hubs take a large amount of energy and patience. The patience I have most of the time but the energy is in short supply now. And having to stand and wait for him to look at every, single, little thing and read all the info about it makes my back hurt. So the truck and Kindle are where I am.

I just logged onto Goodreads and got a warning about the page not being private. I don't think it is a problem as there is no private information on there, i.e., credit car info, password, etc, but that bums me out. My computer is protected by a very good program and I accept it when it tells me that this sight might not be safe. So I guess I will do my challenge on my blog.  And really, what better way to keep up with it and to get input from bloggy friends about new books to read? So here goes:

So far this year, I have read:

1. "Killer" by Jonathan Kellerman. This is a thriller centering on his Alex Delaware character and a really good book. All the Alex Delaware books have been entertaining and this one didn't disappoint.
It concerns the court case of Sykes vs Sykes, two sisters, one of whom has a child and the other who is trying to get custody. Alex is threatened by one of the sisters and she ends up dead. A great book which left me guessing as to what was going to happen next.

2. "The Bone Yard" by Jefferson Bass. This author is one I really enjoy as he is local. He is actually two gentlemen. Dr. Bill Bass is a forensic anthropologist at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. He founded the Body Farm which looks at how human bodies interact with the environment and to help in identification at different stages. Jon Jefferson is a journalist whose work has appeared in several publications. In The Bone Yard, Dr. Bill Brockton, the central character, goes to Florida to help a colleague determine if her sister committed suicide and winds up investigating an old state boys reform school with a shady past.

3. "Sharp Objects" by Gillian Flynn. Ms Flynn is the author of the bestseller, "Gone Girl" which I read last year. She has also written "Dark Places" which I also read last year. Gone Girl was hard to get into but was enjoyable after I did; Dark Places was great from beginning to end. Sharp Objects is another great book which twists and turns and leaves you wondering what is happening next. I was so sure I knew the answer but was totally surprised at the end. I highly recommend all these books.

So there, the first 3, leaving 22 to read by year end. I am currently reading "Miss Julia's Marvelous Makeover" by Ann Ross. If you haven't read any of the Miss Julia books, you need to get started. They are simply hilarious. We fine southern ladies of an age can get into some real messes at times.

I'm also reading "Dragonfly in Amber", the second book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I love historical fiction and these books have not disappointed me at all. A good love story never hurts and I am totally involved in Claire and Jamie's.

Please if you have suggestions of good books, let me know. I am hoping that the weather will cooperate and I will be able to do some crafty things soon. I have so many ideas running around in my head and there is one I really need to get started on so I can finish by Valentine's Day. So far, my office/craft room has only been used to read books which isn't a bad thing. It's nice and quiet in here and I'm away from the TV so I'm not tempted to turn it on. I don't read in bed anymore. I can't seem to get comfortable. When I get rich or win the lottery, I'm buying an adjustable bed!

That's all for now. I hope each of you has a great day/night wherever you are.

Hugs,
Sharon

9 comments:

  1. I read about The Bone Yard in our paper. There was a reform school in Florida where many and I mean many young boys were killed by the people who worked there, It is horrible and has been in the paper for the last few years as they find the remains and try to identify them.

    Happy Reading,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mick bought me a Kindle for Christmas and I love it. I've always loved books but didn't think I'd take to an electronic device rather than having a proper book in my hand but I'm a total convert. I can see already that it will get lots of use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids have lost my kindle so I am going nuts :) Sounds like you are reading some good ones! I will have to check out Miss Julia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried any of those books although I've heard of some of them. It's out of my usual genre. All the more reason I should try them! I don't like to get "creeped out" though as I live alone and I read before going to sleep so I don't want bad dreams.....I may have to try them though and I'll let you know.
    I'll have to tell my daughter about the anthropologist crime detective one as she loves those type of books. I do tend to love Southern writers too.
    I do not read in the bathroom as I am never in there long enough! LOL! And the only time I do read is in bed at night. Yes, inventory shopping sounds very boring.....glad you can stay in the truck and read....even better just stay home! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read The Miniaturist? You should try it! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you read The Miniaturist? You should try it! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big procrastinator, too, but am trying to get better. And with reading, I tend to start books, but not get very far and then forget about them while I do many other things, like crochet. I'd like to get back into some cross-stitching and also paper crafting. So many ideas, so little time for it all. Have a good week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm trying to read more this year too ... but I do struggle to find books that can hold my attention.

    ReplyDelete