Saturday, May 13, 2017

2017 Reading Progress

Last night I was thinking about doing a devoted post to reading and I thought to myself that today's is as good a time to start as any. So, if all goes well, I will do a Saturday post just concentrating on books. It may not be every week but at least it will get me in gear to do it.

According to my 2017 Reading Challenge spreadsheet, I have read 30 books so far this year. I'm almost half way to my goal of 65 and the year isn't half over yet, so I think I'm pretty much on track.

I have become totally hooked on "The 1st Ladies Detective Agency" series and have now read 3 of them. I borrow them from the library through the eLoan program. They are delightful books and I love the descriptions of Botswana. The books themselves aren't very long and I can usually finish one in a couple of days, if I devote myself solely to it. The trouble is I can't seem to read one book at a time. I usually have a book on my phone and my tablet and an audiobook on my tablet.  Anyway, if you haven't tried this series, do give it a try.



All the images will be borrowed from Google as I'm rubbish taking screen shots.

I've also read the first two books in the Duncan Kincaid series by Deborah Crombie. I have a love of English detective novels. These have not disappointed my love. The last one I actually listened to, "All Shall Be Well" was intriguing and I didn't figure out the culprit until the very end. I really, really like that.
All Shall Be Well by Deborah Crombie - Used (Acceptable) - 0060534397

I'm also reading, from the beginning, the Detective Lynley series by Elizabeth George. I discovered these books several years ago but had no idea they were part of a series. So even though I've read probably 6 or 7 of them, I was happy to see that there are currently 19 in the series. So I decided to start at the beginning so I would understand the characters and how they came to be. I have read that there is a British TV series based on these books but I haven't been able to find it yet. I have subscribed to Acorn TV and Britbox on Roku but maybe I'm not looking in the right spot. If any of you know about this series and can point me in the right way, I would really appreciate it.

Image result for a great deliverance

At the moment, I'm reading "Teammate" by David Ross. He retired this year from the Chicago Cubs as a backup catcher and his book is a delight. And of course, anything about my beloved Chicago Cubs is okay with me.

I'm also reading "A Fatal Grace" by Louise Penny, the second in her Three Pines series. Well, actually the series is Chief Inspector Gamache, but the first two are set in Three Pines. Again, a detective series. Honestly, I do read other books but I find this genre tends to be my go to.

And lastly, I'm listening to "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood and read by Clare Danes. I've really only started it but it's getting a lot of hype right now. I believe there's a movie about to come out based on the book and I've seen a lot of reviews that seem to feel it's relevant for our times.

So there you go, a reading update post. I'll really try to be back each Saturday for an update unless I haven't finished any of the books.

As always, thank you for reading my blog. I hope each of you has a wonderful Mother's Day and that everyone enjoys the weekend.

Hugs,
Sharon

3 comments:

  1. You have a lot of reading to do! I keep saying I'm going to start a book and then other things come before it. I do have a book at the camper that I've read about half of a chapter in this week and I have a book on my end table in the living room waiting for me to pick it up. Who knows? Maybe this will be the week. :-)
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment on my blog. I read LOTS it has kept me sane over the last few years as our life has changed dramatically with husbands illnesses.
    The Inspector Lynley mysteries were a TV series between 2001 and 2008. I looked on Amazon but they are not available on DVD. They are still shown on TV here on odd channels sometimes but not a lot of help to you over there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great books! We have the same taste so I will have to write some of yours down. I have read some Alexander McCall and started when he first came out but went on to other books while waiting for him to write more. Now, I will start over with his series. I love Louise Perry and the rest I will have to try. I too love British anything it seems. I'll have to look into Britbox on Roku. I gave up Acorn as I am trying not to pay for T.V.....I gave up satellite in order to do that but I do have Feeln which is like $20 for the entire year and such good t.v.

    ReplyDelete