Thursday, October 19, 2017

Back again

Hello, fellow bloggers! I'm back and I'm ready to talk.

I am sorry to say that my old laptop bit the dust. The hard drive was BAD and it was going to cost $200+ to fix it. I decided a new laptop would be a better investment and ordered a new one from Dell for $250. This one is smaller and lighter and so far, I'm very happy with it. I spent yesterday afternoon getting use to it and downloading programs that I had on my other one. It will be a learning experience......again. I might be getting too old for all this.

So what have I been up to since my last post? Well, I'm getting out more and I'm (gasp) shopping. Yep, I'm going into stores and looking around. Have no fear though, my avoidance of shopping is still firmly in place. I'm just having to find sheets and blankets for my smaller bed. I was sleeping in a king bed and it was just too big. Due to differing opinions of mattress firmness (me medium, him firm), my using a C-Pap and the fact that he's all over the bed and SNORES, the Hubs and I sleep in different rooms now. I wanted a smaller bed to have more space and I really, really, really wanted an adjustable bed. I bought a full size (or double) and I've had a really hard time finding sheets and blankets for it. There are tons of queen and king size and a good assortment of twin, but full seems to be an unwanted size these days. As my daughter said, most people do have a queen or king bed and twins are still in use for children. That's the way I roll bucking the system.  Ha!  Anyway, I bought some microfiber sheets and I love them. They are so soft and cuddly. With the head of the bed raised to a comfortable level, I sleep so well. I'm a happy sleeper, finally. AND it has a night light under the bed so when I get up at night, I can turn it on and make my way to the bathroom without any problems.

I've also been able to catch up on some chores that have been neglected lately. I'm slowly working my way through a list of jobs and there is quite a bit of satisfaction in marking those things off. Of course, I'm constantly adding things so it's a never ending list. And I'm walking to the mailbox everyday for the mail without having to stop and without being out of breath. This pacemaker is starting to be worth it.

I'm also cross stitching a lot. I'm currently working on Sam's birth sampler and I've told myself I need to work only on it until it's finished. I'm pretty happy with the design I've chosen and all the different pieces are coming together quite nicely.

I've done some work on some of the SALs. I really do enjoy Carolyn Manning's designs and she has so many different SALs. I just got the latest one, "The Scrap Happy Crazy Quilt" and I'm really looking forward to doing it. The design offers 4 different options for each section and it runs from November 2017 to December 2018. There are 44 sections with 176 choices. Here is a photo of the cover sheet. Please excuse the shadows.



I'm really looking forward to starting this. I'm planning on doing all 4 options (mixing them up) in 4 separate pieces and then having them framed together. It will be a bit of an undertaking but I think it will be a beautiful effect.

I'm also working occasionally on the "Granny is no Square" SAL. I have finished putting in all the basic outlines and I'm currently working on adding the major border and the individual squares' borders.



I'm enjoying, well, maybe that's the wrong word, I'm anxiously watching the Cubs-Dodgers series. My beloved Cubbies won the 2016 World Series last year and they are in the League Championships again this year, playing the same team as last year. Currently they are down 3 games to 1 and they have to win the next 3 to move on to the World Series against the New York Yankees. Fingers crossed they make it again.

The weather is full on Fall. With highs only in the upper sixties (at the moment, it's 63 at 12:45 PM) and nights dipping down into the 30s, it's been chilly for me. We've had frost warnings the last couple of nights. The high today is suppose to be 71. We'll see. The trees in our yard aren't really turning; they are just dropping their leaves. I've seen some turning but not much. I'm not sure this will be a good year for leaf viewing in our area.

My sister, niece and I are going to the local theatre production of "The Rocky Horror Show" on Saturday night. I've never seen the movie and I'm excited to watch the play. Our local group puts on some really amazing productions. Last year they did "Spamalot" and it was wonderful. We're also going to see "The Wizard of Oz" in November. This is one of my favorite movies and in truth, my sister hates it. But we are all looking forward to the play.

So that's all for me at the moment. I'm planning on cross stitching today and resting from yesterday. I've learned to go at that pace with RA. I'm in a really good place at the moment with only some occasional pain, mostly in my right hand and wrist and in my toes. I've already made the beds and picked up a little bit, so an afternoon in my stitchy chair will be a good thing.

As always, thank you for reading my blog. Happiness and love is sent your way.

Hugs
Sharon


7 comments:

  1. Sorry about the computer woes Sharon. We've been contemplating switching from a desktop to a laptop because it seems to be getting slower and slower... Just like me I guess!
    I loved reading how much better you are feeling with your pacemaker. That is very encouraging to me. I still have my days, but overall things seem to be looking up for me too. I have a download next week and then see the cardiologist in November for my 6 month check. Do you have a machine at home for downloads? I love that it works with a cell signal so I can take it camping and not worry about it. :-) Have a lovely afternoon my sweet friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betsy. I am feeling much better, now if I could just get this weight off. I do have a machine for my downloads to my cardiologist. It's so easy, isn't it? When my son got his first pacemaker at age 14 (24 yrs ago), we got this big clunky modem. He had to dial in, put the phone on the cradle of the machine and put on wrist bands. He might have also had leg bands. But the part I really remember was when he had to put the magnet over his pacemaker. He hated that part. He's got the cell version now and he really likes it. I do a download every 3 months and only see my cardio once a year as of now. I'm glad you are doing better.
      Hugs,
      Sharon

      Delete
  2. Sharon, so happy you are out and about, feeling better and sleeping better. Sleep is a big issue for me, I never seem to get good quality sleep and my husband snores, too. Take good care of yourself my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the same to you, my friend. Give LB a hug for me.
      Hugs,
      Sharon

      Delete
  3. That is some really stunning cross-stitch, Sharon! And I'm so glad to hear that you're able to get out and do more and feel well while doing it.
    We have a double bed and I was shopping for sheets the other day. I found plenty in the right size, but the prices floored me. When did sheets get to be $60 a set??? It's tempting to go back to the old way of buying fabric lengths and sewing them together to make sheets. :)
    Sorry for your disappointment in the Cubbies, but I'm a Dodger fan so I can't feel too bad about that outcome. I think it will be a good World Series. I'm SO glad the Yankees didn't make it. (My youth was blighted by seeing the Dodgers lose multiple WS to those - ahem - darn Yankees.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, I am SO happy you are doing so well! Also that you are getting a good nights sleep...that is key to feeling good. I haven't really had too much trouble finding full size sheets....I have 2 beds that are full size. But I go online for everything but I have seen them at Walmart. I bought a set last summer but I think upon looking closer they say full/queen and yes, they are too big! So, don't be fooled like I was! I am thinking of making my own sheets. I love your cross stitch projects....especially the granny square one....how gorgeous is that?!? I'm sure the new will be too. I just finished a cross stitch project...I know...pinch me as I rarely finish anything but I'm really good at starting projects! LOL! Fall is here too and I am loving it! I agree though....the colors just don't seem to be there this year....not so far anyway.
    Please keep blogging as I want to see that cross stitch progress! Hugs ~ Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, Sharon! While I have been galavanting back and forth and up and down the USA you have been having heartfelt erratic adventures! I am so glad to know you are living at a healthier pace now and are enjoying time with your Grands and the rest of your family as well.
    The Aurora Teagarden movies on the Hallmark channel are fun to watch, but I haven't read any of the books they are based on. I am impressed with the number of books you have read/listened to already this year.
    The Fall colors are more intense here this year due to the dry summer we had, or so I have been told. I posted some photos on my blog, but can't quite capture the crisp temps, and breezes that add to the whole view :)
    It is such a pleasure to see your beautiful stitching! You inspire me.
    Wishing you much joy as you are out and about shopping and viewing plays, and at home cooking and cleaning and crafting and reading as well. xx

    ReplyDelete