Tuesday, November 29, 2016

So much sadness

Our beautiful Smoky Mountains are on fire. Wildfires have burned I don't know how many acres, hotels, attractions, homes. It is so sad to see all this destruction. There are no words to describe how I feel right now. Thankfully as of this morning, there have been no fatalities and just a few injuries.

We have been having fires all around us for the last few weeks, most caused by arson. I truly do not understand the need to set a fire that might cause damage and/or death. There have been 2 arrests that I know of at this time. My first inclination was that they should be made to fight the fires and kept there until they were completed extinguished. I still think that's a good idea except for the fact that these men would probably enjoy being around all that.

The Ripley Aquarium, in downtown Gatlinburg, had to be evacuated last night. A lot of the employees didn't want to leave because it meant leaving all the animals behind, but they finally had no choice. The aquarium is all right as far as I know. Arrowmount, which is a school for artists, again located in downtown Gatlinburg, has been almost completely destroyed.

I watched videos last night of the fire burning right at the road's edge. The spur, that runs between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg through the forest, was totally on fire.

We got some rain last night but it was accompanied by high winds and there wasn't enough rain to help the firefighters. There's an 80% chance of rain tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully, it will happen and knock down this massive fire.

I am far enough away that the flames are not a danger to my home, but everything is so dry because we are in a drought situation. So very sad. It brings home the devastation that folks on the west coast have been dealing with for years. I never dreamed my beautiful mountains would be lost to fire.

That's all I have today. Maybe tomorrow I will be back with news from this month. There's a lot. I haven't been in the mood to post for a while but hopefully, that will change.

As always, thank you for visiting my blog. I wish today's post was filled with happy, jolly news but I just can't. I send each of you hugs and love.

****Edited to add - There have been 3 fatalities so far.

Grammy

7 comments:

  1. Your fires there just make me so sad. I think they're worse than the ones we had here last summer in Washington state. I have a friend who is in Gatlinburg and had to evacuate last night. She was terrified. My prayers go out to everyone there that's affected.
    Blessings to you and yours,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awful Sharon!!! I so feel for you and your neighbours.. friends of mine lost their villa in the terrible fire here last September. That was also arson...a group of youngsters were paid to set the mountain on fire. What utter monsters!!!!!

    hugs

    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so so sorry my friend. My best friend in Franklin NC is telling me the same story. Over 50,000 acres burning, set by arson too. What are people thinking, the loss of wildlife, homes, businesses, nature. It is such a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having grown up in Africa, I know how devastating wild fires can be, dreadful when you think they were deliberately started x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel sorrow with you, Sharon, and I hope that the rain we have been getting makes its way to TN to extinguish the fires and end the drought. I checked back and read that you lost Bandit...and am so sorry. I am glad you were able to enjoy him as long as you did. I loved seeing the photo of you cuddling with two of your grands, and am so glad you were able to travel to visit them. I'm glad your new car is serving you well, too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon, I'm so sorry. That is scary and horrifying and very very sad indeed. I've heard from another blogger in Georgia about the drought there; I guess I didn't know it extended to any other states.

    I say put those arsonists to work doing all the firefighter's laundry, and cleaning up the acres of ashy mess. Nothing fun or exciting - just dreary mucky dirty picking up after the fact. That would larn 'em. (Of course there's always another option ... found in the Book of Daniel. But maybe that's too harsh?)

    Hope you are well despite the sadness around you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is truly awful that someone could do something so harmful to the environment and to people. I just don't get it at all. Thankfully they were caught. My first husband and I went to Gatlinburg for our honeymoon (that was in 1987) -- such a beautiful area. A shame that so much has been destroyed. Wishing you all the best, Tammy

    ReplyDelete