Monday, May 11, 2020

A lot of states are re-opening even though the COVID-19 cases continue to go up. With deaths reaching 80,000 in the US alone, this coronavirus is still being touted as fake, no worse than the flu, etc, etc, etc. One death is too many but it seems people who haven't been affected really don't care. I haven't heard the current president offer one expression of sympathy for those who have lost their lives or for the ones who have lost loved ones. At the moment, he is more concerned about his chances for reelection than what's going on with the health of the people whom he represents. His self-congratulations for a job well done grate on my nerves. He has not done a good job. If anything, he sentenced our country to the horrors of this disease by not believing it was "so bad" and not going full force to head it off. He allowed it to develop to the point that it became a catastrophe. But I am also angry at the people who have complained about being asked to stay home to help stop the spread and who have now gone back to shopping and gathering in groups without even a face mask. It seems they think that if the stores are open, the restaurants are open, then out they go and forget all about any safety procedures. 

My feelings today are bouncing from anger to depression to disgust to every other emotion in the book. I would like to go out and eat, I would like to go to the grocery store, dammit, and I don't even like doing that chore. Yes, I am tired of staying home and not being able to go about as I please BUT, I have to protect myself. I have to lean on my husband to do the necessary things because I am 69 years old and have RA and asthma and I'm at risk if I should become infected. And I have to watch his frustration and anxiety each time he leaves home, his constant cleaning and his worry about both of us.

Now because everyone is so eager to get out and about and go to Walmart, and TJ Maxx, and to restaurants, we will be having to stay home longer. If there was even a modicum of sense being used, it might not be so bad. But when I see no facemasks, no distance between, I don't feel safe. I cannot allow myself to go into that. I've moved all medical and dental appointments to June but I'm not sure I'm going to feel comfortable with them even then. 

Time to stop ranting and try to get myself calmed down. No more news, no more facebook, no more anything until I'm more settled.

Hugs
Sharon 

3 comments:

  1. I completely understand where you're coming from. Everything is just a big mess right now and too many just don't take anything too seriously. There's a lot of selfish people out there. And some are just seriously brainwashed by by the morally bankrupt goon residing in the big white house. Take care of yourself. Do your crafts and read. I definitely limit the news I see and here. Much better for my sanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the current situation in the White House. I am constantly amazed at the people who support him and think he's doing such a wonderful job. I shouldn't be, but I am.

      Delete
  2. Hope you and your husband are staying safe and well! I share your frustrations about those who refuse to take precautions. My 93 year old dad, and many like him, have been virtual prisoners since March. The next time I hear someone gripe that wearing a mask infringes their liberty, I will have a few words to say about the total lack of liberty of all the elderly and vulnerable. I'm happy to wear a mask, keep my distance, and limit my trips out of the house if it will help free my dad and all the other shut-ins.

    You must be missing those dear grandkids. I hope you'll soon be able to safely see them again. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete