Monday, May 27, 2013

An Ending and A New Beginning

First of all since Monday is Memorial day here in the states, I want to salute all our brave men and women who have and still are serving our country, protecting us from harm, and willing to put their lives on the line each and every day so that I can live without constant fear.

The times, they are a-changin'. Big changes to my day to day life. I have been a bookkeeper with my own business for over 25 years. A few years ago when I started having health issues, I closed my business. However, I did continue to do some books pro bono because I wanted to keep busy and I have always loved working with numbers. This past week, one of the companies decided that they needed to go with someone who was licensed and insured. They have been a long standing customer; but I was beginning to realize that I needed to give this up as it is at least a weekly operation for me and sometimes a daily one. So when I was told on Thursday, I welcomed the decision. I actually know the young lady who will be taking over and she is a great girl, very talented and smart and I totally wish her well. The transition will take a few weeks but the feeling of relief and lightness on Friday was amazing. As I drove home from dropping off the records, I feel so free. I even shouted out loud, "I'm free" while in the truck and then I giggled! Maybe the freedom went a little bit to my head but it felt so wonderful to know that I don't have to do this anymore.

I thought a part of me would be sad but I haven't felt any sadness at all. I have packed up the rest of the filing and other things that need to go to the new accountant this weekend and there has been a smile on my face the whole time. I looked around today and thought that now I can settle and get some more crocheting and cross stitching done because I won't have to worry about the phone ringing and someone saying they needed something RIGHT NOW!

Along with the new freedom I'm feeling, The Hubs and I are clearing up "stuff" and paring down what we have. We are trying for a leaner, more simple home life without a bunch of "things" around. I am solely using my laptop now (with external hard drives so I don't lose anything should it decide to croak on me) so when we got the desktop back from the repair shop, I told him it was his. Now that I don't need a regular desk anymore, I want to move it out and move in the cross stitch cabinet we designed and he had built for me along with a glider rocker so that I have a quiet little place to cross stitch and crochet and so all my crafty things will be together in one place. I'm excited and hoping that this will happen. I just have to figure out where the desk will go (into another bedroom, possibly?) and decide what I am and am not going to keep of the things in the drawers. I have watched and read with HUGE envy all the bloggers who have a room all their own for their yarn, fabric, books and other things they need to do their craft. Now maybe I will be able to have a little corner for myself.

And one more thing, the depression and pain that has bothered me for the past few (or several) weeks has relented. Of course, my rheumatologist put me on prednisone for a week last Monday and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. But that stress that went along with doing these books is now gone and I feel relaxed. I truly feel that I was meant to be a "lady of leisure" if only for my health and my sanity.  :)

Thank you all for all your kindness and concern over the past few posts. I have read each and every comment and they have made me smile and have given me a warm feeling. I truly love each of you and consider each of you a dear friend even though we are miles and continents away from each other. This bloggy world is a special place.

Thank you for stopping by. I hope each of you have a wonderful day tomorrow and that life treats you well.

Hugs,
Grammy Sharon

7 comments:

  1. So glad these things have worked out well for you Sharon, now I'm hoping the effect of less stress on your health will be to give you lots more energy for the things you'd love to be doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sharon..Liberation!!! Yell it to the housetops. I am so happy for you because I think you will relish this freedom, and as Annie said so well, may you have more energy to do the things that bring you such joy. Much, much love coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, enjoy your freedom and all the new opportunities it'll bring! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I left my last job - the sense of relief was incredible, so I can totally understand and agree with how you feel - enjoy your 'me-time' and use it to get yourself up and running and feeling good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a big decision but it sounds like the start of a new chapter, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the wonderful world of the retired. Life begins now.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Sharon
    Truly pleased to hear you are feeling better.
    As you say perhaps its just as well that the company decided to take on another accountant and has really been the moment you were waiting for to be able to let go and move on. Lots and lots of quality time now Sharon to relax and take care of yourself.

    keep well


    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete